Friday, August 6, 2010

Trash Chair

I don’t know about you, but I love a good deal. If I can buy something for next to nothing, I’m super pumped. If I can get it for nothing, well then I’m just giddy. Based on that information, you’ve probably deduced that I like garage sales, I shop at thrift stores, I welcome hand-me-downs, and yes, I’ve been known to rescue things out of trash piles. I’m not afraid of the bad and ugly. I actually like taking an old piece of junk from shabby to chic. Here are a few of my finds…

*An antique chair I found on Craigslist. It’ll probably get painted black and recovered of course.

chair-2

*Some doors from an old house in Dallas. Someone was selling them at a garage sale in my neighborhood.

DSC_0048 DSC_0049

They’re going to have a future life as red track doors in the bathroom between my kids’ rooms. Hopefully they’ll look something like this…

feldman-architects-glass-pendant.jpg

Above: A San Francisco entry by Feldman Architecture.

[yellow-sliding-door-l.jpg]

[photo courtesy Southern Living]

The best part is my heavy, solid wood doors cost me about $22 a piece!

*A vanity that my grandparents retrieved from one of their rental properties. It’s in the process of getting a new shade of watermelon pink and will find a new home in my daughter’s bedroom to join it’s matching chest of drawers.

vanity

[Here’s the mirror being painted by moi. Just look how happy I am probably because I got this set for free. Or maybe I’m just high on paint fumes.]

mirror

Eventually we’ll get the matching double bed in with the set, but right now it’s serving as our guest bed.

* This light fixture I found at a garage sale for $3. I don’t know where I’m going to put it yet, but how could I pass it up for $3? Plus I saw the same fixture, just slightly larger on Craigslist for $250. Maybe I should just sell it and make a profit. Shh, don’t tell anyone what I paid for it.

DSC_0043

*And finally, this post’s namesake…the trash chair. I found this little number out on the curb with the trash. I was actually on my way to go to some antique stores with my moms when the chair caught my eye. It was the only thing I brought home that day. Cost = free.

chair

It will soon look something like this and join all of the other brightly painted pieces in Audrie’s room:

photo/bhg.com

photo by bhg.com

So now you know more about me and my obsession with junk, I mean, bargains. I’ll update you soon with finished pieces.

Until then, I’ll leave you with one of my re-dos. This was a hand-me-down from my Aunt and Uncle. It used to be a shade of cranberry and my husband was not too happy about my bringing it home.

cabinet I ignored his complaints, and like most of my furniture finds I painted it black and distressed the edges. It’s now one of my favorite pieces, and I’d say it looks fairly similar to this piece from Pottery Barn that retails for $1,499:

cabinet

Did I tell you how much I love good deals?

xo

nessa dee

No comments: