Thursday, July 3, 2014

Yellowstone: Part 1

Over a month after we went to Yellowstone, I'm finally posting pictures on my blog. I've been harboring a lot of blog guilt lately. Every week, blogging goes on my list of things to do, but as life with kids can be busy and unpredictable, and with three art related jobs currently underway, my list slowly shifts from 'things to do' to a triage of 'what has to get done,' 'what can wait,' and 'who was I kidding.' My little blog has had to be very patient with me lately.

Yellowstone was quite an adventure. I didn't know such a landscape exists. I've seen pictures, but actually being immersed in this awe-inspiring place is completely different. You can be driving in a meadow one minute, turn a corner, and suddenly you're on the side of a cliff. You happen upon a frozen lake, and within the course of a half an hour, the ice has broken up, and water runs freely. I'm not joking. The landscape changes that quickly. It was amazing and at times, terrifying. [I'm not one that is too comfortable with heights.]








Our first morning there, the power went out in our cabin before most of us had taken our morning showers. We thought the problem stemmed from the newness of the cabin. We were the first guests to stay in the cabin, so we figured there were a few kinks that needed to be worked out. As it turned out, a transformer blew and knocked power out of all of West Yellowstone. Apparently this never happens, so we packed our bags back up into the van, and headed for the park, thinking we might have to stay elsewhere in case the power wasn't fixed in time for a hot evening shower. Hey, when you're glamping, hot showers are expected. Thankfully, the power was fixed before the day's end, so after a full day circling the north side of the park, we were able to return to a nice warm cabin heated by a remote controlled fire that we found could be easily operated by a one and a half year old.
















I was pretty bummed that I didn't have my good camera in tow. Most of the pictures we took with our phones, or our video camera. The quality is not great. Thankfully, our Aunt Susie shared her beautiful pictures with us. I have about a thousand more pics to share, hopefully before another month goes by.

xo
nessa dee

No comments: